Thursday, January 31, 2008

Smiles at the Funeral

A wonderful lady that my mom worked with passed away this weekend. We attended the memorial service today and it was a very nice one. It's only the second memorial service I have ever gone to. I expected to see people very sad and teary but that is not what I encounterd. After the service everyone was in the atrium of the church talking, socializing, some even laughing. It was strange to me most people in a such an upbeat mood. I'm thinking "Hello people! Mrs. Quisenberry just died and ya'll don't even look the slightest bit sad". After my mom and I left I just kept thinking back to my grandfathers funeral this past september. I remember thinking time doesn't stop for death no matter who you are. The world keeps revolving, people keep working, eating, sleeping. Babies are born every minute and death arrives too. I'm sad Mrs. Quisenberry passed away but I actually feel like I can smile too. I believe she went to heaven, tonight she's dining with the King.

When I must leave you
for a little while,
Please go on bravely
with a gallant smile
And for my sake and in my name,
Live on and do all things the same-
Spend not your life in empty days,
But fill each walking hour
in useful ways-
Reach out your hand
in comfort and in cheer,
And I in turn will comfort you
and hold you near. -Helen Steiner Rice

No comments: