Tuesday, February 19, 2008

$2,000 Mansion


A couple weeks ago I decided to drive down Greenville to see where it would lead me. I actually enjoy driving around aimlessly to check out places I've never been before, its a strange hobby. Anyway, I came to Swiss Avenue and it only took a couple secounds to realize that the neighborhood mansions were in historic district called Munger Place. Some of them look like the houses on Home Depot commercials advertising paint for the exterior of houses. Some look like homes in movies from the early 1900's. In the surrounding area the houses get smaller but the characteristics and beauty of these homes don't diminish. There is houses that look like bunglows or have a praire style to them. I looked up theses houses and their market values. Some start at $300,000 and some go way beyond $500,000. When in 1905 they were around $2,000. The great depression almost wipped out this area when homeowners started to turn their houses into apartments. In 1980 over 250 homes became officially a historic district and now is the largest collection of praire-style homes in America. Enough with the history lesson! Well to me theses houses represent a part of Dallas history. Its like a blast from the past just taking a look around this neighborhood. Its really cool to imagine what it was like to live in the early 1900's. These houses represent the wealth of that era. I hope that new homeowners abide by the districs laws and when remodeling and renovating keep style and history those homes are meant to represent.



No comments: